Dr. Mrs. Philippa Isioma OganwuNCE, B.Ed (Social Studies), M.Sc., Ph.D
- Designation: Chief Lecturer
- Office/Department: School of Art and Social Science
Dr. (Mrs.) Philippa Isioma Oganwu started her Primary Education at St. Louis Primary School, Kano and completed it in Ifeyinwa Primary School, Onitsha Ugbo in Delta State. She later obtained her WASC and NCE from Olomina Girls Grammar School, Onitsha-Olona in 1977 and Alvan Ikoku College of Education in 1984 respectively. Thereafter, she served the mandatory one year NYSC with the Nigerian Army at Bukavu Barracks, Kano in 1984. In 1985, she proceeded to Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife where she bagged her degree B. Ed in Social Studies with Second Class Honours (Upper Division) in 1988.
As a manifestation of a rare zeal for academics, between 1997 and 2003, Dr. Oganwu completed her Masterâ€™s and Ph. D degrees at the Delta State University, Abraka, Nigeria.
Dr. (Mrs.) Oganwuâ€™s rise in her academic career is an evidence of integrity, dedication and steadfastness. She joined the services of the College of Education, Warri in 1990 as a Lecturer III in the Department of Social Studies, and through dint of hard-work and commitment, she rose to the rank of a Chief Lecturer in 2005.
As a renowned scholar and woman of integrity, Dr. (Mrs.) Philippa Oganwu has served as external examiner/assessor to various Colleges of Education in Nigeria including College of Education, Ekiadolor and Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo. She has also taken part, at different times in the NCCEâ€™s accreditation exercise. She spent her one year sabbatical leave, between 2007 and 2008 at the College of Education, Agbor. Equally, she has attended many local and International Conferences including Women in Colleges of Education, Conference held in Wyundham Galleria, Atlanta Georgia, 2015. Curriculum Organization of Nigeria conference held in Uyo in 2004. She has many scholarly papers, Journal articles and textbooks.
Dr. (Mrs.) Oganwu is a Rotary Ann and a Paul Harris Fellow. Passionate in sporting activities, she was a Gold medalist in Hockey in 1972 in Bendel Sports Festival. Besides, she is determined to champion the course of vulnerable children and women; and it is this passionate spirit that birthed her NGO, Society for Women Empowerment and Protection (SWEP)
She is happily married to Barrister Patrick Eziashi Oganwu and they are blessed with three lovely children.
2. Masters of Education (M.Ed.) in Social Studies, Delta State University, Abraka. (1997)
3. Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Social Studies (Second Class Honours, Upper Division), Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. (1988)
4. Nigerian Certificate in Education (N.C.E.) in History/Religion, Alvan Ikoku College of Education, Owerri. (1984)
1. Head of Department of Social Studies (1992, 1994 and in 2002)
2. Dean of the School of Arts and Social Sciences (2000 â€“ 2002, and 2005 â€“ 2007)
3. Director of the Pre-NCE Programme (2008 â€“ 2010)
4. Deputy Provost of the College in December 19, 2016 till date
Dr. (Mrs.) Philippa Oganwu has also served in several committees as Chairman and member. These include: College Scoring and Evaluation Committee, Research and Publication, Space Allocation, Admission Board, DELSU and UNIPORT Governing Boards, Desk Officer, College of Education, Warri among others.
SERVICE TO OTHER PUBLIC BODIES
1. Delta State master trainer in POPFLE and Sexuality Education,
2. Secretary, Sons and Daughters of Issele-Uku Diocese St. Anthonyâ€™s Parish, Ugborikoko,
3. Patron of COEWA Health Club,
4. Pioneer Chairman of Academic Staff Multipurpose Cooperative Society, COEWA.
2. Curriculum Organization of Nigeria (CON)
3. Women in Colleges of Education (WICE)
4. World Council for Curriculum and Instruction (WCCI)